Welcome to the Morris Arboretum Archives
Some Morris Papers of Local or Historic Interest
Early Arboretum Days 1932-1977
- Floor Plan of Compton Manor 1909 from Compton Atlas on Beeswax (B&W). 2012.5.3
- Floor Plan of Widener 1909 from Compton Atlas on Beeswax (B&W). 2012.5.4
- Lydia Morris' Cookbook In her own handwriting, Lydia compiled her recipes from 1883 into the 1920's. 2011.7.1
- Ode to Miss Morris an excerpt from the Kellner Diaries. Aboard S.S. Lahn, in November 1889, from Miss Kellner’s comments: Miss Morris received a poem in blank verse from fellow passenger Rev. Dr. Aberigh Mackay, as a mark of his admiration for her. – And pleasant memories will gather around this poem, as in after years the occasion and all incidents will be recalled. 2012.7.2
Bloomfield Farm and Springfield Mlls
- 1917 and 1922 Bloomfield Farm Journal kept by head gardener John Tonkin was transcribed and organized by. Susan Marshall, History Research Volunteer in 2010. This and the other 10 journals provide insight into the seasonal activities, agricultural practices, mill use and crops for one year at Bloomfield Farm. 2010.15.7
- Historic Springfield Mills at Bloomfield Farm prepared by Louise Clarke, Horticulture Section Leader for Bloomfield Farm, was written for a Landscape Architecture class in 2010.
- 1920's Farm Invoices - A few of the Compton Invoices for Bloomfield Farm, reveal clues to daily life at Bloomfield Farm and the gardens during the 1920's. 2011.10.1. Complete set of invoices can be found in the Archives.
John Morris Memberships in Local Societies
- Friends of Wissahickon John Morris led efforts of the Wissahickon Extension Committee with the state legislature to extend Fairmont Park to the edge of the city of Philadelphia. 2005.1.19
- Chestnut Hill Horticultural Society, Founded in 1898, John was the first president in 1899. Newspaper articles chronicle the history, membership, and society activities 2006.1.99
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. 1910 Membership card for John T. Morris.
- Site and Relic Society of Germantown (see below)
- Philadelphia Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution (see below)
JTM Copies of Addresses to Local Historical Societies between 1901 and 1911
- Emlen House Washington's Headquarters, 1777: 'An Address of Charles Henry Jones at Whitemarsh' to the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution on June 19, 1909. Signed on the cover by John T. Morris. 2006.3.7
- Grumblethorpe An address delivered to the Site & Relic Society of Germantown in 1907. An early Philadelphia country estate owned by Wistar family since 1737 that hosted the British general during the 1777 Battle of Germantown. Grumblethorpe visitors and horticulture are described in detail. 2006.3.8.1
- Pomona Grove An address delivered to the Site & Relic Society of Germantown in 1907. Pomona Grove, built in 1755, was another country estate owned by wealthy Philadelphians, and located along Germantown Avenue between Cliveden and Grumblethorpe. 2006.3.8.2
- Taverns of Old Philadelphia An address delivered by Fred Perry Powers to the Site & Relic Society of Germantown, March 17, 1911 2006.3.8.3
- Dramatic Features of Pennsylvania's History An address on Pennsylvania colonial history delivered by Hon. Hampton L. Carson, Attorney General of Pennsylvania before the Site & Relic Society of Germantown, November 25, 1904. 2006.3.9
- Fort Washington and the Encampment at White Marsh, November 2, 1777. An address given on June 15, 1901 to the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution by Richard McCall Cadwalader, it's President, in observence of the 123rd anniversary of the Evacuation of Philadelphia by the British Army . Meeting held at Stonehenge on the Skippack Pike, Mr. Cadwalader's residence. 2006.3.10
Archives Home To inquire about volunteering in the Archives or to arrange a visit,
please email the Archivist at email@example.com.