The Azaela Meadow property was purchased as part of the original Morris Estate. During the Morrises’ time it was a large open area surrounded by specimen plants, many of which remain today. These include unusual species of firs, pines and cedars. In the 1950’s a larger number of azalea varieties were added, including many of Henry Skinner’s wild-collected native azaleas. These plantings form the core of the azalea collection, enhanced by summer flowering shrubs and perennials.