This rustic summerhouse was built in 1899 by Pringle Borthwick, who did all the fine stonework at Compton. The name comes from the orange terracotta banisters and railings that bordered the summerhouse. Its perch on a hillside offered sweeping views across the estate and neighboring pastures and hills. In the early 1900s this garden area was described as an Italian Villa Garden. Balustrade, terrace, and hillside gardens are all prominent features in Italian Renaissance landscapes, as are Etruscan urns and fountains. Extensive flower beds and shrubs lined the paths from the Orange Balustrade to another formal rose garden once located near the Swan Pond.
Some trails and paths may be closed seasonally for safety or maintenance. Please observe protective barriers or posted notices. Click here for hours.
Please note that weather conditions can change quickly, check back or call (215) 247-5777 before heading out for a visit.
Weather conditions may limit garden access to certain features even if the garden is open – please check the web site or call (215) 247-5777 for updates before visiting. Our visitors’ safety in the garden is our top priority. Therefore when inclement weather is predicted, we will make decisions about closing the garden accordingly.