Not part of the original Morris estate, the area of the Holly Slope was purchased in 1948 along with Gates Hall, the current administration building. The site was immediately selected as being appropriate for growing hollies, and this collection was mostly planted in the late 1940s and early 1950s, resulting in the mature plants now seen. Additional hollies have been planted over the years and the Arboretum now has one of the largest holly collections in the Delaware Valley.
The Arboretum will be closed on September 19th due to parking lot repairs. Click here for hours.
Please note that weather conditions can change quickly, check back or call (215) 247-5777 before heading out for a visit.
Weather conditions may limit garden access to certain features even if the garden is open – please check the web site or call (215) 247-5777 for updates before visiting. Our visitors’ safety in the garden is our top priority. Therefore when inclement weather is predicted, we will make decisions about closing the garden accordingly.