This European style lane was first planted in 1905 as the entrance drive to the estate from Hillcrest Avenue. Eighty-six scarlet oaks were originally planted, but the venerable allée was destroyed in a 1991 tornado. Replanted in 1992 with Shumard oak, oakleaf hydrangea, bottlebrush buckeye, and deciduous hollies, this area has a seasonal interest throughout the year. Allées were originally introduced as a landscape feature during the Italian Renaissance. The word “Allée” is from Old French, aller meaning “to go” and refers to a walkway or drive bordered by rows of evenly spaced, even-aged trees of the same species. Allées were popular in European royal parks and estates in the 17th and 18th centuries mostly in France and England. In the late 19th century in America, it became popular to create tree-lined streets on the model of the allées.
The Arboretum will be closed on September 19th due to parking lot repairs. Click here for hours.
Please note that weather conditions can change quickly, check back or call (215) 247-5777 before heading out for a visit.
Weather conditions may limit garden access to certain features even if the garden is open – please check the web site or call (215) 247-5777 for updates before visiting. Our visitors’ safety in the garden is our top priority. Therefore when inclement weather is predicted, we will make decisions about closing the garden accordingly.