The Rock Wall Garden was built in 1924, about the same time the area was changed into a Rose Garden, as an addition to the garden terrace begun in 1888. The Rock Wall is a six-foot high wall of Wissahickon schist filled with many alpine plants. It is situated on a sunny south-facing wall, well-drained and moist, with cool cracks, similar to alpine conditions. Plants with short stems, dense, tough or hairy foliage and those with long fibrous roots or taproots can live in this environment.
The lower portion of the Rose Garden is closed due to renovations to the turf. The top gate is open to allow for visual access, just not foot traffic. We hope to reopen quickly.
Please note that weather conditions can change quickly, check back or call (215) 247-5777 before heading out for a visit.
Weather conditions may limit garden access to certain features even if the garden is open – please check the web site or call (215) 247-5777 for updates before visiting. Our visitors’ safety in the garden is our top priority. Therefore when inclement weather is predicted, we will make decisions about closing the garden accordingly.