It costs to look, rent and move!
Rent is not your only expense when you decide to live off-campus. Financial planning and budgeting is essential. Know what you want, and how much you can spend. Ask yourself:
- What geographic area do you want to live in?
- What size apartment do you need?
- What features or appliances must you have?
- Should the apartment be furnished?
- What is the maximum rent you can afford?
- Does this include utilities?
- Will you share an apartment or live alone?
Make sure you carefully evaluate your answers and reassess how realistic your expectations are with regard for your budget constraints. Be careful to include “hidden costs” such as security deposits, moving expenses, utility deposits, initial repair and decoration costs.
Use the Expenses & Budget worksheetto estimate how much you will need to search for housing and move-in and it will help you identify your resources and expenses
Last modified: 2012-11-02 13:30:02