FAQ list for Evaluating Apts
Checklist – What to Ask When Viewing Properties
There are several things to consider when you are searching for available properties and when you view units that match your needs. Some questions you might want to ask your landlord as you are viewing potential units:
- What is the duration of the lease? Does it automatically renew? When will we have to notify of our intent to renew?
- Can we pay by multiple checks? Or will someone need to coordinate monthly payments?
- What utilities is the tenant responsible for? Which are covered by the owner?
- Is it an electric, oil or natural gas heating system? What are the average monthly utility bills?
- Is subletting allowed? What sort of notification is required?
- What are the termination parameter/penalties?
- How much will we need at the lease signing?
- How are repairs handled? Should you contact the landlord, or do they have dedicated maintenance people? What are the contact numbers?
- Are there enough smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the building/unit? Are there sprinklers in the building?
- Is there a working fire escape?
- Is there a lead paint disclosure for the unit?
- What’s the policy on hosting people/”social functions”?
- Is it a primarily student populated area/building?
- What are the nearest Transportation bubs (bus/trolley/subway stops)
Last modified: 2012-11-02 13:28:49